A crime warning issued Tuesday by the U.S. Embassy in the Bahamas has singled out operators of personal watercraft or jet skis.
The embassy issued the alert following the sexual assault of a U.S. citizen by a man on one of the watercraft on Cabbage Beach. The Royal Bahamas Police Force said a 26-year-old man was taken into custody as a suspect in the Jan. 2 attack.
The embassy said there had been five sexual assaults of U.S. citizens by jet-ski operators in Nassau since July. The embassy banned its staff from using jet-ski rental companies because of insufficient regulation. It recommended U.S. citizens not use them either.
The Bahamas Ministry of Transport said in response to the warning that the suspect in the most recent incident was not a licensed commercial operator and not involved in the rental industry.