by Paul Toohey of news.com.au
Passengers, including Australians, who took a cruise earlier this year through Mediterranean trouble spots on Royal Caribbean’s “Rhapsody of the Seas”, were not told that rocket fire had come dangerously close to their ship.
“Rhapsody of the Seas” sailed from Dubai on May 17, entered the Suez Canal and then visited the Israeli port of Ashdod, on May 26, about 40km north of the strife-torn Gaza Strip.
As cruise ships continue to take passengers into contested Middle Eastern waters, Royal Caribbean confirmed the incident to News Corp Australia but claimed the ship, which carries 2000 passengers and 765 crew, was never in danger.
“In May 2015, ‘Rhapsody of the Seas’ was alongside in the port of Ashdod, Israel at the same time there was a sporadic rocket attack from Gaza,” the company said in a statement.
“In an abundance of caution, ‘Rhapsody of the Seas’ recalled all guests and proceeded to Haifa, which was their next port of call. At no time was the ship in the close vicinity of rocket fire.”