by Tom Stieghorst, Special for USA TODAY
In the wake of a terrorist attack on the U.S. consulate in Istanbul earlier this month, Costa Cruises has decided to cancel its remaining port calls in Turkey for 2015.
Costa said the three ships that visit Turkey, including stops in Izmir and Istanbul, will be rerouted to ports of call in Greece, Italy and Malta. In a statement, Costa said the substitutions “will ensure the best experience to its guests and will meet their expectations.” The ships involved are Costa neoClassica, Costa Pacifica and Costa Deliziosa.
The decision follows the August 10 attack committed by two women, who fired on the heavily guarded consulate. One woman was captured and later identified as a member of the leftist Revolutionary People’s Liberation Army Front.